While you are protecting your drink against tampering, be aware that your drink itself may also be cause for concern. ALCOHOL IS STILL THE RAPIST’S NO. 1 DRUG OF CHOICE. Sexual contact with someone who is impaired by alcohol and/or drugs and, therefore, unable to consent, is rape.
If you believe someone has been dosed with GHB (gamma hydroxybutyrate), get him or her to a hospital immediately! This drug can lead to death.
- Dissociative anesthetic: Victim is unconscious, drug represses respiratory system
- Out-of-body experience
- Sexually oriented behavior:
- Victim embarrassed — “all over the guy”
- Aggression and violence in some individuals (the mean drunk types)
- No gag reflex
- Vomiting (projectile) — classic symptom — may not feel any sensation of being ill
- Seizures — victims may think they are just “nodding off.”
- Periods of amnesia – cameo effect
- Detectable in the blood for 4 hours, urine for 12; will also be in vomit
- Rapidly absorbed — peak 20-60 minutes
- Low respiration and heart rate
- No antidote, through system in 4 hours
- Frothing blood — pulmonary edema
- Nosebleed occurs with high dose
- This drug kills people:
- When victims are on GHB, they have no gag reflex, so they can choke and drown on their own vomit. Or they may forget to breathe.
- There is no antidote for GHB; all that can be done is to put the victim on life support.
- Recreational dose – 1/2 oz.= soda pop cap; 1-2 oz. is a controlling dose
- Manufactured by individuals – can get the ingredients at any local store
- Hardest drug to test but easiest to get
- Biggest problem with GHB – your body produces it naturally; however, your body doesn’t crave it
- Colorless; odor is nondescript but has a slightly salty taste
- Most popular drinks to mix it in: Long Island Iced Tea, Goldschlager, margaritas or any drink the perpetrator finds that you are unfamiliar with
- Comes in liquid form (occasionally found in powder form)
- It takes approximately 5-7 minutes to take full effect.
- When GHB is added to alcohol, it doubles the effects of both drugs.
- Often referred to as the “Hollywood Drug,” liquid ecstasy or easy lay
- Sold legally as Revivarant, Renewtrient, Revitalize Plus, Serenity, Enliven, Thunder Nectar, Invigorate, weight belt cleaner
- Takes about 15-20 minutes to take full effect
- Effects last 8-12 hours
- Central nervous system depressant
- Under the influence of roofies, victim will be in a walking alcoholic blackout
- Brain’s “videotape” shuts off.
- “Cameo” effect
- Roofies only last in victim’s blood for 4 hours but can be tested in urine up to 96 hours
- Victim has a moment of recognition: “I feel funny,” but then loses all inhibition
- Usually no vomiting but will feel woozy
- Victim will feel very groggy up to 3 days after the first use of roofies.
- Odorless, tasteless and colorless (new form tinged blue, although may be masked in darker drinks)
- Dissolves in liquids
- Used in other countries to treat sleep disorders and in surgeries where surgeon wants patient to be awake – doesn’t block pain. but patient won’t remember it anyway.
- A manufactured drug – Hoffman & LaRoche Co. Europe
- Considered a schedule 1 narcotic in the United States
- Roofies cost about $5 a pill.
- Must specifically test for roofies; will not show up in a standard toxicology test (urine can be tested up to 96 hours)
- Users build up tolerance and addiction very quickly
- Also used by heroin addicts because it has similar effects and is much cheaper
- Heightens senses
- High energy – everyone is your friend
- Muscle rigidity/spasms
- Increases body core temperature
- Grinding of teeth
- Stimulant and mind expander
- Aka Ecstasy, X, Hug Drug
- May mix with LSD or ketamine
- Ketamine is legal in the United States for use as a veterinary anesthetic.
- In humans, it produces a dissociative effect similar to PCP.
- Can be in liquid form but most commonly dried, ground and inhaled
- A victim who ingests ketamine will have hallucinations and feel separated from his or her body.
- Amnesia and dreamlike memories make it difficult for a victim to remember.
- Special K has been associated with rape across the country and world, much in the same way roofies have been.
- As with all drugs and alcohol, victims on Special K are never capable of sexual consent, no matter how clear-headed they appear.